View Single Post
      12-11-2008, 08:48 AM   #20
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmstyle71 View Post
I'm you in the past. Back in 2005 I WAS DYING TO GET ONE. So my parents gave in and I got one at the age of 19. I was a noob as well. I said to myself I'm going to drive safely, speed limit, no wheelies and all this other shit and I really did. I did a mistake of taking it on the highway 2 weeks later, mind you I was going the speed limit but at the same time being a noob, I did not know the bike well enough to be comfortable to do everything. So this lady swerves 3 lanes because she doesn't want to miss her exit, doesn't see me and demolishes me. My bike flew one way and I flew the other. It hit the median and disintegrated and I skid about 100 feet acorss the highway and miraculously didn't get hit by any cars. I was smart in the sense that I wore a helmet and a leather joe rocket jacket. My helmet was dented in 3 places (that would have been my head) and the back of my jacket was melted. I was wearing jeans and my legs got burned BAD. I had about a palm size burn that was sticky and when you looked at it, it looked like flesh just sitting there. No broken bones. I got lucky.
My advice to you? Am I going to say don't get a bike? No I'm not but this is my advice.
0) Don't assume you're going to crash because of your stupidity, it's the people around you that you have to watch. You have to look out for yourself because you are the one who will get fucked in a crash.
1) If you are influenced by peer pressure DON'T GET A BIKE you will kill yourself
2) If you don't have patience and want to start popping wheelies DON'T GET A BIKE you will kill yourself
3) Be willing to give it at LEAST a year on regular roads getting a feel of riding.
4) The slower you go the harder it is to ride a bike. Don't think because you're doing 50 that your good.
5) Go to a parking lot and as slow as you can go, do 90 degree turns and other slow turns.
6) LEARN HOW TO STOP PROPERLY. If you get spooked and grab the right lever (front brake) which is what instinct will make you do, you will eat pavement. Use BOTH brakes.
7) NO HIGHWAY NO HIGHWAY NO HIGHWAY FOR A LONG TIME until you are 100% comfortable.
8) LIGHTS are your friend, the bitch didn't see me because my bike was titanium ( I had a brand new 2005 ZX 6R)
9) FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...WEAR....YOUR...GEAR.....WHATEVER YOU DO...WEAR YOUR GEAR....500 bucks saved my head and my life
10) Just enjoy riding at safe speeds minimize riding in traffic and don't take people with you at first.
11) Take a course and another and another to educate your self.
12) If you want to get a bike because it's FAST AND COOOOOOL AND VROOOOM infront of the girls....don't get it you have yet to mature to get a bike.
I'm 22 now and I myself want to get back on a bike as well. But I have my rules to keep me safe. Don't let what happened to me happen to you in order for you to learn. Lots of people emphasize engine size, personally I think that's bull. You will kill yourself on a 2cc bike if you're stupid. That being said, don't go out and buy a liter bike or a busa either....
This guys speaks the troof! Been on my r6 for over a year now but still got to handle and ride with extreme care!
Appreciate 0