View Single Post
      07-22-2020, 02:32 PM   #13
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

**Another update**

So the Apple CarPlay/Android Auto box arrived yesterday so I installed it. It was relatively easy to install as it is basically Plug-n-Play. It's just a case of removing the headunit, plugging the new loom sections into the car loom and then finding somewhere to place the box. As my MULF is on top of the glovebox it was sensible to place the new box in the same location as there was plenty of new loom to do that.
I also hooked my old reversing camera up to it and got that set up as well (I say old as I now have a new replacement to go on the number plate location as a surround instead of the numberplaet light hole I curently have).

Well because the headunit is a Japanese import one, when I bought it I didn't realise this, but upon checking found out, no big problem, I thought, as I'll simply change it to Euro maps. Errmmm, no, apparently you can't do this with Japanese headunits, you can with any other country but not these ones, well not without major surgery to the hard drive. So as I want this all to be working correctly I'm now sending it back and getting my money back on it. I've managed to locate another (UK) headunit which will be with me tomorrow, so that will just go straight in and be fine with a map update (if it needs it) which I can do without any bother at all :wink:

It works perfectly with my wifes iPhone, in wireless mode and also with my Samsung A70, also in wireless mode, which I'm very happy about. If I'm honest I think I prefer the CarPlay screen to the Android Auto screen view, it just seems a better layout.
All controls work, you can use the iDrive controller to move about the various screens and also the steering wheel track skip buttons work too.
So here are some photos of the new screen, alas only in Android Auto mode as I only had my phone with me at the time....

And here is the reversing camera view, it even shows the correct Z4 picture for the PDC (alas I don't yet have my OEM PDC installed so it's just showing full coverage)
Attached Images

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0