View Single Post
      08-03-2022, 04:58 PM   #315
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
F1 for many years has had its rivalries but more often than not the fans loved the sport as much as the drivers. It has politics, strategy, danger, people can and do get killed and so much subtly that is lost to many, you have to love the sport to get it all.

During the multiple wins for Schumacher as an example I don’t think anyone said it was the car only and not him that managed to get to the front. Was I a fan of his no, but did I respect the fact you could watch him make a car do things others couldn’t, reluctantly yes.

Hamilton from the GP2 days to today has had many of those same moments. Qualifying performances his team mate could never match or the ability to make the tyres last more than anyone the list goes one or battling from the back to the front. It wasn’t always the car that was better, it might have been the team that did it for him or just his raw talent or skill of overtaking, but he is absolutely a top 10 best ever F1 driver, that’s undeniable. You just can’t win 7 titles beating your teammate across different teams and it not to be raw talent, it just doesn’t happen.

As for Max, in his early career he was unliked in part due to his arrogance and ability to crash and do some really bloody stupid moves, he just wasn’t respected by many fans and other F1 drivers, we can all post videos from multiple years to show this, but that is short sighted. However fast forward to today and in the same way as Hamilton, Schumacher and in the same breath as Senna they all have similar traits and abilities to do more with the machine than their team mates and rivals. Max is absolutely up there with the best and if he carries on can be mentioned in the same breath as those names.

Nobody should dispute that, I don’t as a LH fan and all the other drivers I’ve watched that came before him. What’s lacking is respect, something that we as a forum and the fans of ALL drivers need to remember or you may as well just go and watch football, this isn’t the sport for you.
For me, having a villain makes any sport more fun. I'll miss hammy when he's gone.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61571.00