02-19-2021, 10:10 AM   #17
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
I'm looking at a few possibilities. BMW i3 with range extender, Nissan Leaf and Chevy Bolt. I'm even debating plug in hybrid. I'm also concerned about increasing my electric bill dramatically. My winter electricity consumption is already $300-$500 a month. That's running 3 additional 1500W electric heaters in the basement and sunroom and vestibule. Summer month are about $100 with the AC at 72F.

You are spot on about getting a cheap used EV to test the waters. But even a cheap used ones are $12K. I have a 30Amp 110V RV outlet at the side of my house for my camping trailer and I don't even know what it will take to add a stage 2 charger.

EVs are coming, it's for certain. Eventually it will be a common item to a new built home like Pex plumping or double hung windows.

We are in that awkward stage of EV and gasoline. This is why we are seeing more of these discussions and even the traditional manufacturers are straddling the fence on this one.

I do like to try new things and I did have 2 new hybrid vehicles but the payment/insurance vs fuel savings wasn't quite what I hoped. Sure they were getting 57MPG but it cost me $500 a month (payment/insurance/fuel included)

if I could get away with $300-$350/month on an EV (everything included)
I would be game to try.
I posted a link above that shows you what it will cost to charge your EV. Not sure why you wouldn't enter the miles and type of driving and see what it says it will cost you per year.

For the 110V 30 amp going to stage 2 charging will need to start over. Stage 2 is 220v so at your electric box you need to start from a dedicated 220 breaker with 220 wiring to wherever you want the outlet and a new plug and connector wire to the car. I doubt you will do this yourself so add this to the estimated total cost.

If I was running (3) 1500 watt space heaters all winter this is where I would be looking to save money. Not sure where you live but $300-$500 per month for electric in the Winter seems really high and I don't think there is a worse way to produce heat than resistance electric heat. I put a mini split in my attic (heat pump) for about $2k and it's running costs are minimal and it should last for 10 years.

I think $350 a month for car, maintenance, repair, charging, insurance isn't likely but it is a calculation and you should be able to figure it out yourself based on where you live (insurance quote, estimated car cost, estimated maintenance/repair, charging)