GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Which used EVs are you eyeing to accommodate your 100 mile daily usage model? You should avoid anything with under 200 mile range because seasonal/weather considerations and other factors will have a significant impact.

You are looking for an EV to make sense under some strict set of criteria. I am curious whether your GMC Yukon (if I remember correctly) or your BMW 440i purchases involved such rigor. By your own admission, your vehicle shipping tends to involve some impulsivity, so it sounds like maybe that was the case when you purchased those two vehicles as well.

Are you perhaps overthinking this EV conundrum a smidge? If you are open to an EV purchase, a cheap used one is a great way to test the waters. That's what I did a few years ago, and after having been convinced over that period, my current plan is to switch to a Mustang Mach E later this year.
I'm looking at a few possibilities. BMW i3 with range extender, Nissan Leaf and Chevy Bolt. I'm even debating plug in hybrid. I'm also concerned about increasing my electric bill dramatically. My winter electricity consumption is already $300-$500 a month. That's running 3 additional 1500W electric heaters in the basement and sunroom and vestibule. Summer month are about $100 with the AC at 72F.

You are spot on about getting a cheap used EV to test the waters. But even a cheap used ones are $12K. I have a 30Amp 110V RV outlet at the side of my house for my camping trailer and I don't even know what it will take to add a stage 2 charger.

EVs are coming, it's for certain. Eventually it will be a common item to a new built home like Pex plumping or double hung windows.

We are in that awkward stage of EV and gasoline. This is why we are seeing more of these discussions and even the traditional manufacturers are straddling the fence on this one.

I do like to try new things and I did have 2 new hybrid vehicles but the payment/insurance vs fuel savings wasn't quite what I hoped. Sure they were getting 57MPG but it cost me $500 a month (payment/insurance/fuel included)

if I could get away with $300-$350/month on an EV (everything included) I would be game to try.
Appreciate 0