View Single Post
      02-18-2021, 11:21 AM   #10
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChenz View Post
There's a lot of fear mongering with EVs.

1. Most people only travel under 30 miles daily ONE way.
2. Even before the pandemic, many companies are transitioning to remote work environments for a variety of good reasons. Remote workers generally don't even need a car. Hell, people who live in really big cities don't even own a car.
3. The average American worker with under 10 years of tenure gets about 11 vacation days a year. I will assume that if your taking vacation you would take a week off at a time or possibly 4 mini vacations. I'll further assume those are the only times you would travel a long distance/need to tow a largeish trailer... Renting a Dodge Ram 1500 for a week from Hertz cost $250 inc extra insurance. So maybe $1000 plus fuel for the year and you always a new reliable purpose built vehicle for this task vs a unibody SUV which is more than likely is not designed for the load.

Of my 10 close friends (4 families, 6 couples) only two need a vehicle for their employment or drive more than what 300 miles. They work in IT, pharma sales, construction, nursing, food services, accounting and teaching. All 60 employees where I work, work remotely.

Just as we transitioned from horses to cars, the EV move will be a transition. Infrastructure will follow and is already rapidly being built out. People will change how they live and travel. Electric planes will be next and that will drive down air travel costs down even further with no jet fuel costs/simplier propulsion. So we may find that people will just fly more when they need to travel further and either rent a car or use a car sharing service.

If your only consideration is cost... Go buy a 2010-2012 Camry for $5- 7k cash and daily it. It'll cost $150 a month on fuel. Maintaince is $50/month on that car and it'll cover everything... tires, brakes, oil changes, etc. Rent a truck when you wanna tow your camper. No EV is going to match or beat that cost....ever.
Love your post except I would change this to a Prius.
Appreciate 0