12-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #29
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
Ok- First the SI will not be a dealer installed option. There is way more to it than a simple software update.
Really? More to it? How so - please explain. From what I see there's some cosmetic features, slight change to the muffler baffles, and a software flash to the power train and that's it. Am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
Second- BMW Performance will be introducing a version of the power kit for the Z4 at some point in the not so distant future, not the same levels as the SI but close when equipped with DCT/exhaust. The overboost function will remain specific to the SI as will the software mapping of the DCT.
". . .not the same levels as the SI"

It's not like this BMW upgrade is a monster. I think I may be confused as to what your talking about. Please explain.

Not to sound overly critical of BMW, but here's my take on it: They make a big deal about "overboost" when in fact tuners are safety producing more "normal" boost that BMW, who is producing a lot less hp/tq than their competitors such as Dinan. He has a 400+ hp kit for the 335i n54. Based on my conversation with Dinan a couple of months ago, his e89 n54 kit will be every bit as good as the 335i version, plus he has a great warranty, and BTW he's not worried abut the DCT.

The Z4 35is red is cool, I don't like the interior change, so apart from the new front fascia which I do like, one has to say - what's the big deal?.

It's no different than the inline 6 n54 they're dropping in a 7 series and using the term "virtual displacement", which is utter nonsense. If they had said they are cranking up the dynamic compression ratio I'd buy it, but your displacement volume doesn't change by turbo charging - it's a static number based on the simple calculation: displacement = bore x stroke. It's just like saying a turbocharged 3.0L engine really behaves like a 3.5L engine, hence the label 35i. If they were honest they would say the n54 behaves like a turbocharged 3.0L engine and call it a 30tt. BMW is using marketing double talk in attempt to redefine basic engineering terms and it's an unfortunate fact that some people, who don't know better, may buy it.

Anyway, at the end of the day all that matters is that people are happy with their cars.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 12-20-2009 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0