ChuckB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 2.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky View Post
René-

I've got a set of bags coming from you guys. Any insight into the mechanics of the duty/tax transaction (for us guys who don't import on a regular basis)? Like who gets the money, how we find out about it, and how we pay? Tks. Looking forward to getting the bags...
Having done this before several times in several directions, here is a quick recap of the procedures...

The CBP will attach a yellow form [CBP 3419A] to the package and release it back to the shipper, CBP will determine what category the items fall into, that is the material code defined in the "Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States Annotated" (may be abbreviated as HTS, HTSUS and HTSUSA)

ZPost member price on Euros = 111,93 [$160.85 at today's exchange rate], as this is under the $200.00 you will most likely not be required to pay Duty [shipping/Insurance doesn't count in the cost], if duty is charged it will be somewhere between 3-25% [which sets the import duty between $ 4.86 & $ 40.21]. , so as you get your stuff please let the forum know, if someone gets the CBP agent who's having a bad day [wife just walked out on him with a luggage maker in HIS new Z4], and got hit with the 25% rate, some else's paperwork showing a 3% rate may help him/her out a lot.

Note that if you travel to Europe for 48 hours [not including day of arrival and day of departure] then the exemption is $800.00, then next $1000.00 are Dutiable at 3%, and anything above at 3-25% depending on the examining CBP Agents current marital status. But I suspect that there will no Duty assessed as these items are a on-time importation not for re-sale.

This information is the latest and best I know of and is presented to help you get a feel for what is coming, so PLEASE don't blame me if it is off a bit, but having moved several times between the US, Germany and the UK this is based on my experiences.

Last edited by ChuckB; 01-05-2010 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: friggin Typo's, MOD - Where is the spell checker ???
Appreciate 0