View Single Post
      12-05-2022, 02:04 PM   #28
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I haven't read the article, but I think it's important to give context in reference to how the automotive market has evolved as a whole rather than simply look at BMWs direction in a vacuum. As a whole the automotive world is evolving towards tech, safety, comfort - basically all things that scream - "we know you'd rather be doing anything else but driving, so let's at least give you as much comfort as possible and maybe even remove you from the equation with some self-driving tech."

From that angle BMW is one of the few brands left which still offers manual cars. And sure the M3/M4 may have grown in size and weight, but in their class they're still among the lightest (c63/RS5).

So while BMW is moving away from catering to enthusiasts... most others have long moved away already.
Yep. It's like, ok, BMW isn't what it once was. Who are you going to go to? Porsche has probably been the most faithful to their brand values but even people on Rennlist complain endlessly. The Tesla Model 3 might drive nicely as this article states, but that's not their focus. I don't think you can rely on that to stay the same going forward for all their cars. They don't produce any real enthusiast focused products either.
Appreciate 1
wtwo318017.50