View Single Post
      05-20-2023, 01:10 PM   #1
lamebro1
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 2012

Arrow 2012 Z4 sDrive20i with 90k miles for $14k - a good idea?

Hi there guys,

For context, I randomly tried a Z4 the other day and I liked it way more then I thought I would. I am a 22 year old who has been working for around a year and a half. I don't really need the space so practicality is not an issue. I think this car would be driven 3-5 times a week. Not everyday but not a weekend car either. This is my first car, though I have been driving for around 2 and a half years.

My budget to buy a car is around $14k, and my annual budget of maintaining the car is around $2700.

I recently saw a 2012 Z4 sDrive20i that's done 90k miles for $13,600 and it was a blast to drive. I have been looking around at other cars like the BRZ, SLK and Miata (which I know is the smart option but i cant find it anywhere) - so far the Z4 has come out on top.

The owner has replaced / repaired the following: turbo / air intake pipe / top cover plastic part in engine / vaccum pipe / coolant and coolant tank cap / radiator / cleaned injector / changed fluids. He has not done any service to the convertible roof, but it seemed to be in good working condition and not dusty - making only a few little sounds. Overall it seemed like a very clean car that has been well taken care of. He also changes the oil semi regularly (around every 8k KM)

My main concern is that N20 engine. I heard that the timing belt can disintegrate and make the whole engine go bye-bye. I can afford general repairs I think (please correct me if I am wrong), but I do not think I can afford a new engine.

With that being said I do really like the car. Would it be worth it anyways? Should I perhaps try and find a sDrive30i with the V6? Which Z4 is the most reliable in my budget?

Thank you and I appreciate your help!
Appreciate 0