View Single Post
      06-26-2022, 04:11 PM   #9
Sirmario
Rep
Drives: CLS550

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowlingtuna View Post
So when I bought my Z4 (2009) I specifically sought out the 30i (N52 motor) because I once owned a 2008 535xi with the same turbo motor found in the 35i (N54 motor).

Now, I never had turbo issues with that car, but I went through a water pump (typical for BMW's), coils, VANOS solenoids, and fuel injectors (which is expensive because at a minimum you have to change at least one bank (3 injectors). I did all 6, used, was still $400). And I did the work myself. That car finally refused to hold idle after a minute. I suspect it was the hook seals (a metal o-ring at the end of the cam) that was letting too much/not enough oil to pass through for the VANOS to do it's job. I also had vibration issues with the front diff, but that's unrelated to the Z4.

So, as much as I love the power and all the upgrade potential the N54 has, I simply couldn't put my trust back in that motor (to be fair, the "motor" wasn't really the issue).

Do I sometimes wish I had bought a turbo'd car, absolutely, especially seeing how I have 3 cars to drive. But I also love not spending extra money on it, be it maintenance or upgrades.

Oh, my car had around 155k miles when it stopped wanting to drive.

Wow good to know, how come you didn't go for a 35i?
The 30i is on my list but I maybe pull it.
Appreciate 0