View Single Post
      06-08-2022, 08:04 AM   #8
scowlingtuna
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 sdrive30i

So when I bought my Z4 (2009) I specifically sought out the 30i (N52 motor) because I once owned a 2008 535xi with the same turbo motor found in the 35i (N54 motor).

Now, I never had turbo issues with that car, but I went through a water pump (typical for BMW's), coils, VANOS solenoids, and fuel injectors (which is expensive because at a minimum you have to change at least one bank (3 injectors). I did all 6, used, was still $400). And I did the work myself. That car finally refused to hold idle after a minute. I suspect it was the hook seals (a metal o-ring at the end of the cam) that was letting too much/not enough oil to pass through for the VANOS to do it's job. I also had vibration issues with the front diff, but that's unrelated to the Z4.

So, as much as I love the power and all the upgrade potential the N54 has, I simply couldn't put my trust back in that motor (to be fair, the "motor" wasn't really the issue).

Do I sometimes wish I had bought a turbo'd car, absolutely, especially seeing how I have 3 cars to drive. But I also love not spending extra money on it, be it maintenance or upgrades.

Oh, my car had around 155k miles when it stopped wanting to drive.
Appreciate 0