View Single Post
      06-06-2022, 12:39 AM   #7
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 sDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwooder View Post
Hi, I own and drive on a daily basis a 2009 3.0 Z4. Look closely for oil stains in both sides of the tops headliner. This indicates a hydraulic leak, and big bucks to fix. Time both the open/close function of the top.

Should be close to 22 seconds each way. Look closely in the battery well for water lines, which indicate flooding in that well. Water in there will effect your hydraulic pump package eventually and cost really big money to repair/rebuild.

Be sure to lube all the tops moving joints with a good spray oil, and clean all the rubber seals in the top, doors, and hood.
1) If there is a hydraulic leak in the roof, it doesn't work anymore. No need to search for anything, just open & close the roof once for testing.

2) Absolutely no lubrication is required for any joint.

3) I've never seen a "too slow" roof, if it opens & closes properly. No requirement for any timing measures.

4) Each roof will run into troubles with the hydraulic harness in the top, sooner or later. Can't be avoided by any maintenance action.

5) Checking for water in the battery area is absolutely important before buying.
Appreciate 0