05-17-2022, 09:24 AM   #2
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirmario View Post
Greetings all, I am in the market for a z4 2009+, i really find these cars attractive and need a fun car to drive. I currently own a CLS550. Love it, but I want a two seater manual. The more I research the Z the more I am starting to like it.

I would drive it alot, 300 miles per week probably.
I am set on the 6 cylinder engine. Which one is more reliable?
S30i? Or s35i?
If you have any other suggestions or tips please let me know. Looking forward to being a long time member.

Regards
M.

The big difference is the 35i is turbocharged so it will have less long-term reliability. Ultimately, you could get the same life out of it as the 30i, but it may cost you more in repairs. Turbo failures can get expensive.

Both engines are pretty solid. The big watch items are the cooling system and the oil filter housing. A cooling system refresh may be needed but it's not a terrible expense. Oil leaks from the OFH are a known issue. They are not frequent, but need to be addressed promptly as the oil can drip down on the serpentine belt causing it to fail catastrophically.

Other common issues about the Z4 can be found perusing this forum.

If you're looking at a high mileage car be sure to get a good look at its maintenance history and a PPI from a shop that knows the car.

Gerry