View Single Post
      07-31-2013, 02:19 AM   #17
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

I agree with what Nicknaz said, if the problem was that the car wasn't moving after you pressed the throttle it is not simply turbo-lag. The engine produces plenty of torque to move the car even without the turbos spooled up. I think I have experienced something similar when pulling out from my compound in normal mode and with a cold engine.

The clutch-engagement delay can also be felt when going from D into R and back. Some of this is eliminated with tunes such as ESS, but our DCT will never match a torque converter in these matters.

The unlinear throttle response that army_men mentioned also might be because there is simply more boost, so we can better feel when the turbos kick in.

That being said, when I switch back and forth between ESS and OEM I realize that the OEM responsiveness is tuned for more comfort. And it makes sense, because not everyone driving this car is wearing racing shoes, and not everyone would appreciate that the engine responded just because the car passed a bump and ones foot vibrated a little. So the car is easier to drive smoothly with OEM settings, especially in stop and go traffic. But there are times that it also makes the car more dangerous to drive, because it simply does not react to throttle inputs instantly. That is, if you are used to ESS and go back...

As others have said, try the sport or manual modes next time. There is a reason we have different modes to choose from. And since we didn't always have these options in our cars, we need to learn to use them at the right times. Like flipping the gear lever from D into S just before an over-take. It only takes a split second if you remember it, and makes a world of difference.
Appreciate 0