View Single Post
      08-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #56
RPIpower
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M, G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin turbo View Post
Did you read the whole thread? Mr. 5 also tested the DCI against the stock air box and they agreed the DCI made more power in certain situations. I have seen several 1,000 hp Supras and high horsepower Buick GN's at the track and ALL of them had filters right off the turbos. It's funny that they would do that if it made less power. These guys are all about making the most horsepower possible.
That thread has been brought up several times and its really a joke. We have tested these things over and over again and its the same results. It seems that you want to believe it gains power just for peace of mind so thats your right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Here is one consideration with the Turbo Supras and Buick GN's. They are built for drag racing. That's a 10 second pass with plenty of cool down time between runs. A street setup has to contend with idling in traffic in 90 degree weather. After running a car hard and then idling in traffic, you'll notice less power the next run due to heat soak. A proper setup must take this into account and provide the coolest air possible, without compromising other considerations.
100% correct. The other reason for this is that casting a custom plastic molded box is much more expensive than throwing on a few heatshields and dumping a filter on there. Drag cars cant run over and over and over again so the argument holds no ground in this discussion. Ive mention time and time again that I will dyno anyones Z4 that has that intake for FREE. My only request is to have the session recorded so there is no cheating.

When we had our dynojet back in the day, we tested a lot of products like these for companies that rented dyno time. The ways they wanted us to test and do the dyno sessions (in order for there to be a power gain) is purely comical.
Appreciate 0