05-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #17
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
Our z4 is overpriced and always get dated stuff from 3 series. I've owned 2 z4m and a 35is. I notice that our z4 tends to get what the 3 series gotten several years already as a new feature. For instance, a wide screen navi with idrive, we got it in 09 when 3 series got it 06. We got the same engine option as a 3 series. The current 3 series have HUD and a few other stuff more than our current z4. Every time we get the update, all other series get newer updates. The price is as much as an m3 and it's not an m car so people would just get an m3 for the same price.
But you forgot
  • the electric-steering
  • the engine (the N54T was available in the 3-series at the same as the Z4),
  • the non-M DCT which was only later available in the 3-series and 1-seres.
  • the navigation system which has been updated over the years (the 09 model z4 does not have the same navi as the 06 3-series... also it folds away )
  • the folding hard-top was a big improvement over the leaking 3-series version
  • the adaptive suspension maybe? (again save for the M-cars)

So we could also argue that most of the stuff that matters was improved or new in the Z4. And it will also be the last car offered with the N54. I do not think that is a bad thing at all.

And btw with comparable options the M3 convertible is far more expensive than the Z4 35is, and the performance is almost the same. So this hardly explains anything. Because the M3 convertible is not as rare as the Z4 35i where I live.

I think it is a fair point that the Z4 is too expensive, and that you can get 300hp and 4 seats in a 1-series for much less. But let us not forget that even the soft-top 1-series convertible is heavier than a Z4. And compared to the roadster competition, the Z4 is indeed competitively priced, and offers very competitive technology and looks, even if it is "only" based on a 3-series. Except for the HUD, B&O hifi, and perhaps ventilated seats, I cannot think of many 5, 6 or 7-series features that I really wish we also had. I can think of a few M-features though (such as drilled brake disks, more customizable software, an electronic LSD, upgraded exhaust sound etc), but that is a different story...

Last edited by Asbjorn; 05-27-2013 at 11:49 PM..
Appreciate 0