View Single Post
      10-14-2020, 08:39 AM   #19
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

old thread... but...
I have heated steering wheel, but leather on it is starting to look worn and nasty. I probably cleaned it too often while detailing the interior and rubbed it too much with microfiber towel...

To fix it... there are two options:

1.New steering wheel.
That is around 700+ eur. Bit much IMO...
Have not seen any used ones on ebay for sale (i do check from time to time) Seems hard to find one with heating.

2. Redo leather on existing steering wheel.
Problem with that is that existing heating wire would probably not survive when taking old leather off.

I was told in one shop, where i went with my problem, that there are aftermarket steering wheel heating elements, that can be fitted when replacing the leather and then hooked up to the oem button. I was recommended another place that would be better suited for this kind of job: a bit more professional interior shop. Havent had time to check that place out yet but im going to ask them about that option when im in the area and have time. Until then im checking ebay for a deal on a used one.

I could just replace the leather and live without heating but I really dont want to give that up+ every button has to work in my car.

If this can be done then maybe people dont have to retrofit new steering wheels and can just redo ther existing ones with heating element inside and then theres only some wiring to do.