01-18-2020, 08:48 AM   #548
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazmn Jr View Post
Yep I guess I'm a M guy. I am on my 5th BMW and 2nd M car. I have been a M guy not necessarily a BMW guy since I saw my first red E30 M3 as a kid in high school and always dreamt of owning a M3 from that day forward. The M car made me a BMW guy not vise versa.

Thankfully I have been able to achieve those goals of M ownership along with driving non M cars in between.

The letter M is there as a designation of BMW's motorsport division and should never be watered down just because a car has a few add on pieces without the full internals and development of M engineers.

Is BMW telling M owners that an M car is no longer their best and everything that comes out of BMW deserves the same designation M and no longer differentiate?

The M was meant to be special as M cars are but can no longer be special because M is used to freely.

I see the comments an M340xi is faster than a current f80 M3 in a straight line but do those that make those statements realize that Awd makes that statement possible. Something the new generation M3 will obliterate with a more improved Awd system.

No matter how hard I try to stay with the brand, BMW is slowly pushing me away to something more special. Maybe it's time to move on. Let's see if M can make things right with the next generation and the nomenclature. If not I hear Porsche calling my name.
What difference does the badge make? If, e.g., an M3 meets your needs but you are offended by an M340i, don't buy the latter. If Porsche or Audi or anyone else makes a car that better fits your desires and needs, buy it. But don't make your decision based on the badge the car maker puts on a car that you don't want anyway.
Appreciate 2
530iDriver1707.50
Jbonly211081.50