CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
I love the challenge of keeping an old machine working. Especially if it's something that's been passed down. Any dolt with a credit card and a pulse can piss away a bunch of $ on something new. It's way more challenging and rewarding to give a seasoned implement another shot at life through the liberal application of know-how and TLC.
I love old machines. One of my hobbies is tinkering with antique tractors and engines, I have a few at my grandfather's farm but the one at my place is a 1968 Gravely walkbehind with some attachments. 10hp cast iron Kohler engine and all gear drive. Thing probably weighs 500 lbs with no attachments. I use it most often with a 30" brush hog that has a 3/8" thick blade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
You've got to know your gear and care for it, if you expect it to take care of you.

Are the manufacturers building implements that aren't compatible with the fuels that are available to their customers? Are they knowingly selling oxygenator-intolerant implements in markets where there's no e0 available? That's BS, if so. I can't imagine that it would dramatically increase costs to substitute oxygenator-tolerant materials, as has been done in the automotive industry for 3 decades. An informed consumer would be willing to bear any reasonable costs, given how much longevity it would yield.
It's all about cost. Manufacturers don't care that their carburetors can corrode from ethanol fuels. A lot of issues stem from the fuel itself attracting water and causing varnish which will clog up fuel passages. Fuel injection vehicles aren't as susceptible to this type of damage from their design, but leave anything sitting around with untreated ethanol fuel in it for long enough and it will have issues.
Appreciate 1