United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 M3, 2006 325i

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
If you guys are just cruising and not hauling ass, then the Diamond Back will probably be fine. If it winds up getting fast or competitive you'll probably be disappointed and lose interest.

Helmets, like seats, are all about fit. I'd go to a shop and try on several sizes and brands. For me, large Bell helmets fit best. You want it as tight as possible without being uncomfortable. It should sit even and level. Once you have it adjusted you should be able to shake it around a little without it moving much. This is so it doesn't get pushed out of place in a crash. After finding one that fits right adjust the straps so they hang between your neck and jaw and tighten it as much as you can without being uncomfortable. This prevents it from falling or ripping off in a crash.

Most better helmets now have a little piece in the back, often adjustable with a dial, that really helps to lock it in place so I'd recommend getting something with one of those.

Here's REI's advice for fitting a helmet...

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/arti...le+helmet.html
Thank you for the link! I read about helmets, and ended up ordering Giro in universal size from Amazon. It looks like more advanced / pro versions are sized, but lower end helmets are mostly universal size. I should get my helmet tomorrow, so if it does not fit, I'll still be able to get replacement locally before my first ride.

There is specialized bike shop just few miles from me, and they are open until 8 pm tomorrow, so I will try to go there after work. If they have helmet better than what I ordered, I will get it, and return one from Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I use both Polar and Camelbak bottles, but actually prefer a mix, the more rigid Polar insulated body with the Camelbak lids. So get one of each and see which you prefer. I use 25oz bottles, but if you're mainly doing shorter distances, the 20oz bottles can work fine.

Helmets are all about fit, I strongly suggest you use your local bike shop to find what works best for your head. All helmets meet the same safety standard, the higher priced models are usually lighter and have more cooling and/or winter liners.

Pearl Izumi makes good clothing for all levels of cycling, they're a good start for your clothing needs.
My Pearl Izumis should arrive tomorrow. Ordered Polar 24oz bottle as well. Figured bigger is probably better. Might add another bottle (smaller) later.

Thanks again guys for help and advises!
I got bike, and other stuff (helmet, water bottle, shorts) should be delivered tomorrow. So, that should be everything I need. Let me know if I'm forgeting something.