12-26-2019, 12:04 AM   #135
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
Have never changed calipers on a car but... on 2 of my cars that preceded my Z4 i ran the same simple setup to firm up my brakes:

Ferodo Racing DS2500 pads (Better bite )
HEL Braided Brake Lines (More direct pedal and braking force to caliper, no mushiness)
Motul RBF 660 racing brake fluid. ( Higher boiling point to take the heat from continous beating)

These 3 simple things are all you need to try as a first modification. after that if you still need more then feel free to go BBK etc.

Racing brake fluids are good but in my opinion they have a drawback... Longevity. They need to be changed more often. They take in moisture more easily and are not designed to have long service intervals in years like bmw has marked in idrive. I would change the fluid every spring even if street use only. Stock fluids seem to be better in that regard.
I still believe it is a myth that upgraded brake lines improve braking feel. For daily driving, the brake feel is determined by the the pads and bed in imho. The better bite from the DS2500 also reduces mushiness, ie the amount you have to push the brake pedal. Ie it is the same thing.
Appreciate 0