View Single Post
      03-31-2021, 07:45 AM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
I believe its mainly because its not a hand-built AMG engine. Similar to a BMW engine, its a series regular engine that is simply tuned or enhanced, and also a harder engine to package due to it being an I6 (apparently doesn't fit in the W206 without compromises made). Only the M139 and M177 are hand-built.
Sure. But the M139 is based on the pedestrian M260, and the M177/M178 also have a non-AMG M176 counterpart. There's nothing stopping AMG from similarly creating their own hand-built, high performance variant of the I6. I understand the packaging aspect, but like I say, this is something they knew would present challenges before they decided to switch from the V6 back to the I6. And they also know those challenges can be overcome.

Furthermore, even if we ignore the C family of vehicles, there is still the E and S families. BMW has the M*50e PHEV setup coming, and we expect over 500hp (with the potential to evolve to 600hp or more). Mercedes has the existing *53 non-hybrid I6 setup today, and if rumors hold, a *53e setup featuring a variant of this new M139 PHEV arrangement. So we are going to have larger vehicles like the E53e, GLE 53e, reportedly even SL53e, using a buzzy four cylinder? All while completely skipping the obvious possibility for an M256 PHEV? It just seems like a very peculiar strategy.
Appreciate 0