08-21-2019, 05:11 PM   #89
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
I see this sentiment a lot on this forum. "BMW is killing the M Brand" In what way? Is someone shopping M4s REALLY not going to buy one because the M440i exists? A non BMW guy probably doesn't know the M440i even exists.

M4s aren't worse because M440is exist. M440is are better because M4s exist, though.
I feel like this is one of those "in a perfect world" posts that doesn't really apply to reality.

In a perfect world, we buy the best product available.

In reality:

1) Maserati still exists and people continue to buy those rolling pieces of trash
2) Apple is one of the biggest companies in the world even though they seldom had the best product on the market
3) No one wants to buy an American car even though a ZL1 1LE Camaro/Corvette walks all over anything BMW has to offer and the C8 only makes this worse for the future

I know this is a bit extreme but do you think Ferrari would still have the same religious following and buyer mass if they started putting their pony on a $30,000 hybrid?

The reality of the situation is that they are flooding the market with fake M cars, which to the majority of the public's eye is the same thing as an M car. This kills a little bit of that status/exclusivity that average joes get when they spend double the money on a real M car. Most people aren't automotive enthusiasts the way we are on here. Less money that goes to M cars, the shittier the product we get because there's a smaller market for them.
Appreciate 2
Soterios575.00
King Rudi13154.00