05-13-2021, 11:13 AM   #981
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
MGP makes and sells spirits to other distillers/ bottlers.

https://www.mgpingredients.com/disti...verage/product
X2 but they also have their own brands- https://www.mgpingredients.com/about...er-brands.html I have multiple bottles of George Remus (our club picks) and Remus Repeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-G-nius View Post
SO its like bulk wine. They sell the same low grade garbage to hundreds of other wineries who may tweak it a little (or not), slap their own label on it and call it theirs! Is that about accurate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-G-nius View Post
Doesn't change my point. Basically a low end "Cheap" brand potentially has the same base or even the same liquor period as a high end one. It all comes from the same batch and can be sold under a different label, blended with something else or whatever.

I never really knew they did that with booze like this. I only knew of it with wine
They don't sell any low end bourbons but there is definitely a mid and high level. I don't think you can buy any MGP produced bottles for under about $28 (their own Eight and Sand and still good). So retail ranges from about $28 to I think $200?. Nothing says you can't create some of the best products made and sell them to someone else for branding. Most of the time the higher priced MGP (or anyone's) product comes with longer aging. Guy who runs our bourbon club, his wife works for MGP and they aren't allowed to talk about who they sell to.

It doesn't all come from the same batch, or barrels, or warehouse, or recipe or aging.

I recently bought a New Riff 15 year bottle (MGP sourced) for $200 and traded it for roughly $650 (cash and bottles). Friend had the same bottle and decided to drink it. Some of the best bourbon I have ever had.