View Single Post
      04-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #1
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
X3 M40i, Macan S, GLC43, or SQ5?

OK, not trying to wear out the forum. I am in analysis mode (over-analysis?) and keep veering to another direction. I have another thread somewhere discussing X5s but more I think about it I don't need a vehicle that size. I just want a sporty SUV with some vroom and comfort - something with plenty of passing power, easy in and out, and enough room in the back for a few sets of clubs or groceries. So, I've moved onto alternatives to the X5 and am comparing the following:

X3 M40i - I didn't think I'd go this route. My wife owns a 2014 28i. It's a good car but suspension wise and power it's just fine for her. I need more. But as I research it becomes clear they have grown the X3 a bit and also offer a X3 M40i version that is a hot rod. 0-60 in 4.4 secs is awesome. I bet the suspension is beefed up too and I'd like it. A really nice one can be had for about $66k MSRP. $10K less than the X5.

Macan S - I mean if one is looking for a grocery getter that doubles as a sports car this is it. The base unit is pretty quick at 6.3 sec 0-60 but meh, not enough. The S version is 5.1 sec which is just fine. Problem is, getting an S as they are usually equipped they are around $77k MSRP. Hmmmm. Is it really that much sportier than the X3?

GLC AMG 43 - looks like a decent package. Looks are a bit more subdued but the numbers say it is quick. 4.7 sec 0-60. Plenty of power. Priced a tad higher than BMW but nothing deal breaking. The interiors look a lot nicer in the pictures. Reviews also give it an edge there. Probably need to look.

Audi SQ5 - man. Based on numbers alone this is a champion. But, the interior is still the "old" Audi setup and in person they don't look very impressive to me. maybe my dealer isn't putting one in the showroom with a great polish etc as all the ones I saw were outside on a lot and dusty.

If I missed one that you think would compete in this arena let me know. And opinions on which you'd choose also welcome. Hey, I know I'm bored and using the board for my own nefarious purposes but I'm stuck at home and got 2 months to research my next car.
Appreciate 0