09-24-2020, 01:23 PM   #38
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
This is only for new-car sales. Doesn't keep you from buying or owning a used ICE vehicle.

California has been the leader in emission regulation and fuel economy legislation. It was gradually being adopted by many other states including most of the population centers in the NE USA. The regulations drove the manufacturers to build cleaner cars when many insisted it couldn't be done, or that performance would suffer. So now we sell BMWs with over 600-hp that meet those standards. How was that bad? If not for the regulations our climate would be far worse, but now we're backsliding as the current administration in DC seeks to rollback any and all legislation done under Obama, without regard for how it hurst the citizens of the country unless they happen to be business owners. That's short-sighted and harmful to our world and the impact is felt far beyond our borders.

I'll keep the ICE stick-shift cars I have. I'll likely be dead by the time these regulations would have any affect on me. But my grandchildren (should I have any) will be the beneficiaries of this forward thinking.

Now lets figure out how to make ALL electric power from the sun and the wind.

I do wonder if this will affect the hydrogen-powered vehicle development. Give enough sunlight and water, you can produce hydrogen without environmental impact and burn it in an ICE with no emission beyond water vapor. It all boils down to how we support the infrastructure to distribute electric and hydrogen
The Mods killed the Politics subforum, so I'll not get too political. You can actually research how well the Obama administration actually did on environmental issues. Even people on the Progressive side of the aisle were not impressed.

But your low impact, sustainable energy future for your prospective grandchildren has a realistic price to achieve it that most will not be able to afford. That price is not in just dollars, but in lifestyle and economic growth. Your grandchildren may not like it when they get there. If you are serious about it, stop driving and promoting 600 HP BMWs that the vast majority of people can't afford and wait until WE get there.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 09-24-2020 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0