02-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #26
gravediggingaditch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoni View Post
grave,

I think a lot of the stuff you're saying apply to you only, and aren't really scalable to the masses.

1. You may love working out and eating healthy, but the majority of people don't. Agree

2. You CANNOT build muscle and burn fat at the same time. Also, you CANNOT turn fat into muscle (It doesn't work that way). You have to decide what your training goal is and work towards it. If you want to build muscle then lift heavy and eat a shitload (preferably healthy calories). If you want to lose weight then cut calories and focus on HIIT. There's no way to do both at the same time aside from illegal methods. It's physically impossible. Agree again - My use of turn fat into muscle, if i said that, is more of a euphemism . . . most diets where people are just cutting cals yield poor results. Once the person starts eating again, they generally gain the weight back because they have only managed to lose a number on a scale - they may have lost fat but they likely also lost muscle - thereby lowering their metabolism and when they start to eat again at a normal level, they're body just starts converting it into crap - rather than building muscle back. I think the better long term plan is to focus on eating well and a combination of hard cardio and weightlifting.

3. Playing ball for 2 hours WILL drastically raise cortisol. You're not doing yourself any favors with that. It's much better than sitting on your ass for 2 hours, but it's hardly a training program I would recommend for someone who's serious about losing fat. Disagree - i dont think running for 2 hours "DRASTICALLY" raises cortisol levels. My levels are likely a lot more affected by my work life than by the free feeling i get playing ball, sweating, etc. I also never said that this was the only part, or should be the only part of a training regimen. My cardio aspect is only part of my day. I warm up (in the a.m. before work) for about 10 minutes on a machine and follow with a weight workout. In the evening, i come back to play. With proper eating, I have had no issues. I am not big, nor do I care to be bit . . . I just enjoy being fit . . .

4. HIIT is the way to go for losing fat. You say 2 hours playing ball isn't bad. Look at marathon runners. They're hardly fat, but would you want a body like that? By the same token, look at sprinters. They're lean and yet still muscular. That's the difference between HIIT and playing ball for hours at a time. ever look at basketball players, soccer players, lacrosse players, tennis players, swimmers. . . ??? I would disagree with you - i think those sports are much more akin to HIIT than a marathon runner. Also, marathon runners are into being as tiny as possible so there is less weight banging on their legs, etc.

5. Honestly, your program is all over the place and typical of the bodybuilder gymrat program. If I asked you what your training goal is, could you give me an answer? Most people can't. Most people just say "to be in shape." I got news for, that's not a goal, and there's no way to measure how close or how far you are from it. Well, I dont know if being in shape is any different than being "fit" as I said above. But in no way am I a bodybuilder . . . . maybe a gymrat because i love running, working out, etc because of the "high" i get from it. In any event, if somebody's goal is to "be in shape", then "i got news for ya," thats a goal - by definition. Now, how they define it is their own subjective standard, and if it makes them happy, and they can be proud of it, then they reached their goal. more power to them. I'm not as worried about the physical looks of my body as I am confident of how my body functions inside. . . being "healthy".

If you said "my goal is to lose weight" I'd say cut out the long sessions playing ball, drop the bodybuilder routine, and focus on HIIT and diet. If you said "my goal is to gain muscle" I'd say drop the ball routine and focus on heavy weightlifting NOT to exhaustion, as well as eating a lot. You seem to want the best of all worlds and that's just not possible. I do - sorta - want the best of both worlds. . . don't most? do be lean with a healthy physique? Now, it didn't happen,nor could it over night . . . and it requires maintenance every day of my life. . . . but personally, if i can maintain where i'm at until i die, i'll be a happy boy

6. Most gymrats today are obsessed with protein. I got news for you, we get way more than we need. Telling Boosted that upping his protein will help him lose weight is misleading. What it will do is fuck him up in the long run. Eating so much protein is NOT healthy. The vast majority of your diet should come from FRUITS & VEGETABLES, not proteins. I don't think people are aware how much damage they do to themselves with their eating habits. Regardless of your fitness goals, whether it's fat loss or gaining mass, F&V needs to be the center of your diet. no question that f&v needs to be part of the diet. . . . but if all he is having is a few slices of turkey and a piece of salmon, he is not getting enough protein . . . what is it. . . the recommended levels are over 1 gram of protein per lb . . . . . which, if you are close to, it is extremely important to drink loads of water. . . . keep the kidneys functioning, etc. . . . I guess I dont follow your suggestion then, he has to get calories from somewhere, a fat, a carb or a protein. . . . my suggestion to him was to make sure he was getting a sufficient amount from a protein . . . and yes - once we get an excess amount of protein, we pee it right out. . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gshb View Post
i dont think theres a wrong way to exercise, so long as youre doing some sort of physical activity. even having a bunch of sex helps in this goal.

i always understood that reducing calorie intake and increasing calorie use is what helps to reduce weight. i dont think theres some secret way of accomplishing this.

use this link as a reference on how the body uses energy and the systems involved. this isnt the best source, but its about right when i quickly googled: http://www.thefitnessblueprint.com/m...hp?article=169

i personally try to burn 300-400 calories by just running and usually watch movies or listen to music to keep my mind off being tired. i see some fat loss from just this, but i lost a lot more weight when i went to ecuador and did nothing but snorkel, hike, and extreme moutain bike (down volcanos) for two weeks. this and the fact that i couldnt eat much in ecuador meant i lost around 7lbs. it makes sense then that low to med intensity activities like i did in ecuador lost more weight than doing nothing but sprinting. energy utilization is different for both activities.

i also try to do HIIT. just dont give up. i think that is the hardest part. i usually eat what i want, but i stay away from the obvious shit like sodas and donuts.

+1 - just don't give up . . . you'll be fine man. be patient - the results will come. Different things work for different people. . . . some don't work at all because the person just aint there.

BMW 335i - e92 Ordered: 4.23.08 Picked Up: 6.19.08
Blk Saph, Black Lthr, Alum, 230s, Man, Prem Pkg, Sprt Pkg, Navi, Prk Dst, CA, iPod, Cstm Pedals, Pntd Reflctrs, GP Thundrs, 30% Huper Optik Tints / 60% Wndshld, Euro Fogs
Appreciate 0