01-18-2023, 08:23 AM   #1
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
e39 528i versus e46 330i

I’m planning to add an older manual trans bmw to the fleet, in part to provide some mileage relief on my e90 m3 but also to experience some of those peak bmw years. Right now I’m thinking another sedan but I’ve been toying with a z3/z4 roadster.

Locally I’ve got a clean title, black on black 2000 528i with M package and 167k miles and a couple maintenance items known, available from a dealer nearby. They want $3800 for the car. I’ve driven another e39 before and wasn’t crazy about recirculating ball steering feel but that model line has a lot going for it and I’m inclined to take a second look.

On the other side of the metro area is a 2003 clean title e46 330i sedan with premium package. Car has 95k miles . It’s had an extensive list of preventative maintenance and some upgrades to wheels, suspension and reinforcement of strut mounts . It’s gray on gray leather which I’m not crazy about but I happen to have a Fox red leather kit I could get myself into trouble with. Seems like an easy decision for the e46 but they want a few grand over book value, around 8k.

Which way would you go? The more expensive, well sorted e46 or the cheaper maintenance project 528i? (I do most of my own work)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0