David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-G-nius View Post
$28 bucks ain't low end? LoL
Interesting that from my post this is all you disagree with. Thanks.

Low end is an opinion and come up with any price levels you want but you can buy lots of bottles for 1/3 to 1/2 the price of this one. Many think Eight and Sand is a good value in it's price range. I've had it when MGP gave our club a presentation but never purchased it. Doesn't change the fact that in the world of bourbon and rye's MGP is a respected producer and many of their great bottles are very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Jeez I leave for a week and conversation goes off the rails.

MGP definitely does some really good stuff and some not so good stuff. Depends on who is picking what they are buying from them. There are a lot of ones not on the list posted (smokewagon and obtanium off the top of my head). Pretty much anything that says distilled in Indiana is MGP.

But it is about to all be mute anyhow. MGP bought Luxco so now they have their own distribution and are not selling off their product like they were before (my friend that sources for obtanium says the options are way way slimmer right now)

Anyhow... I've been enjoying a few bottles. Rare breed rye is fantastic.
I think you are correct in the long term, they would rather produce and sell their own product, mainly because they are losing out on a lot of the profit, then the new companies that buy from them are often doing it until they produce their own product, then move on. They purchased the Remus brand in 2016 so it may take a lot of time until they are bottling everything they produce.

Had King's Family Distillery Ryeconic last night. MGP product 110 proof, aged at least 4 years. Given to me as a gift for watching a friends dog. Look up retail it is about $75 and while good I don't think it is worth the money.

Also received a Smoke Wagon through Fedex, also around $75 (plus shipping), also MGP, no age statement, 115 proof. Look forward to trying it.

Label pictures also attached, they are required to say where it is distilled, if Indiana but bottled somewhere else it is highly likely MGP's product. They can also buy aged MGP product and further age it themselves which allows them to change the label.

Name:  King1.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  133.8 KB
Name:  IMG-3073.jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  235.6 KB
Name:  Smoke bottle.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  270.0 KB
Name:  Snip Smoke label.JPG
Views: 1337
Size:  87.4 KB