vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
The reason is to cut cost, maximize profit.
The truth is there should be a lot more security for critical systems like the pipeline and for our personal data, but placing priorities on profits and the way big tech operates doesn't allow for that.
BINGO! I reported an incident to Microsoft abuse one time. They responded...over a year later! I have the printed emails hanging on my office wall at work to show why Microsoft should be removed from the Internet as an irresponsible organization. FWIW, their abuse (and tech support) appears to be off-shored to Asia, and they are definitely getting what they're not paying for.

I love how the third-world hosting companies frequently have pleas to only blacklist individual IP addresses and not entire networks in their IP whois records. If you don't know what your customers are doing and are shifting the policing to my employer, your entire IP block (and ASN for that matter) has a special place in my firewall's naughty list.

Google is also pretty bad with Gmail. I have developed a set of filter rules to catch about 98% of the gift card and sextortion scams coming from Gmail. As big as a company as they are, they should be able to stop these emails from ever leaving their servers in the first place by implementing similar filters and user behavior heuristics to spot mass mailings. Realize that my pay checks are only 33% of what Google pays for entry-level programmers, and my employer doesn't offer free dry cleaning, cafeteria food, ball pits, or nap pods.....