vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
I'm only 10 years in infosec and will be moving into goat farming once my kids are in school and my wife can start working again.
I have joked that I am ready to eschew technology and move to a shack in the woods, but I already live in a small house surrounded by 7,000+ acres of state forest and lived through the Unabomber threats in the 1980's...so that's already been done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
But still, your point is a solid one. Critical infrastructure should be running on PCs that done have an Internet connection and are isolated from the general company network.
I know of a municipal building in our region where their entire infrastructure is on a flat IP subnet. Servers, clients, access control locks, and even the guest wifi all on the same network with no firewalls or routing whatsoever. Probably designed by some 12-year-old, and signed off on by a politician that types with two fingers because it works...until they get hacked.

I'm not going to name the company, but there is a very large player in the K-12 school content-filtering market that I was asked to look at as a favor when a school near my office couldn't get it to work. Their black box was actually static-coded to ignore the subnet mask and default gateway being provided by DHCP, and assumed a /24 with .1 as the default route. Great assumptions for a cable modem in someone's house, but rendered the thing 100% useless on a segmented network with /26 subnets to isolate rooms. The company did not see any flaw in their logic, and defended their product because they were too clueless to fix it.

As for jumping the air-gap in Iran, an infected USB thumb drive full of "naked women pictures" dropped outside the front door will surely result in a nuclear meltdown in a few hours.....