View Single Post
      05-11-2021, 08:48 AM   #32
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
I mean I loved to google at work as much as the next guy but I'm thinking that you can't get hacked if you're not connected to the inter web right?
Not exactly. I remember the "old days" where the trick was for a hacker to put malicious code on a USB thumb drive, label the drive "employee salaries" and leave it in the company parking lot in the hopes that some dumb ass would spot it on their way in the door and be incapable of not ticking it into their work PC.

Or even earlier than that when computers were a bit of a rarity so we had shared PCs. You'd roll up with your floppy disc full of your work and use the pC for a few hours to do whatever you needed to do. Assholes would leave a virus on the PC that would then infect your disc and propagate to the net PC you stuck it in. I lost a term paper in college that way when the computer lab got infected.

But still, your point is a solid one. Critical infrastructure should be running on PCs that done have an Internet connection and are isolated from the general company network.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615214.00
Murf99314114.00