View Single Post
      05-04-2021, 12:06 AM   #1
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

You've gotta be kidding me - catalytic converter cut out of car in broad daylight!

I had my 2005 Honda Element parked diagonally against a curb in the parking row in front of a medical building this afternoon. In broad daylight. Next to a major street. In a good part of town. In the rain.

I came out after 90 minutes or so and my entire catalytic converter was gone-- rotozipped right off with two cuts.

And could the dickheads have cut it inboard of the flange clamps, so I could minimize the damage and bolt up a replacement myself? Of course not-- that would've been way too simple.

Replacement (as it needs to be CA/CO CARB legal and not just EPA Compliant) is looking to be at least $3800-- I'll have to look tomorrow to see how much other damage was done and what other exhaust pieces will need replacement. I drove it ten minutes home (and wasn't THAT fun) and have it parked in the driveway now.

I've got a $1000 deductible on my comprehensive, but I'm afraid that if I file a claim, they'll total the truck (which I LOVE AND ADORE) since it's so old and not worth much.

Grr. And today was my birthday-- just what I needed-- apparently Elements are phenomenally popular for this type of theft in the Denver area. My wife had *literally* watched a thing about it on the local news about five minutes before I called her.

R.
Attached Images

Last edited by flybigjet; 05-04-2021 at 12:26 AM..
Appreciate 0