01-29-2021, 10:03 AM   #87
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Wonder if you could fabricate a hinge on that system to allow you to swing the bike right by 90 degrees to have it tuck up against the rear of the rig?

I keep forgetting to ask you, are those Bridgestone KO2s on there? I put a set on the FJ and love them.
I hadn't considered a hinge. I'll have to take some measurements and see if I could benefit from having that pivot flexibility. Nice thought!

While it wasn't the original intent, I feel this iteration should be considered a proof of concept at this point. In my mind, this was going to be a one-and-done project, but I've now realized that the original design just pushes the bike out too far and a change is needed. It's fine for me to bust the bike over to a local trail a few miles out, but I'll be taking it with me on long trips, too. Cringing at the thought of running into WalMart on a trip to find my shattered bike in the parking spot. If there was such thing as a pintle mount that had a mounting plate 90° from current, I'd be in the money. I had looked at the receiver mounted winch mounts which are exactly what I need, but they are clearly designed for smaller winches with their plate size and won't work for my design (that I've seen at least).

I know exactly what I want and can design it ultra easy. I could make a cheap 90° adapter, but I don't want to introduce a new failure point with my beloved bike being the consequence. Problem is, my fabrication relationships are all hundreds of miles away and can already foresee this being a "pintle mount" that will cost 4x original. Regardless of cost, I'm too invested at this point and it will just have to be a custom design - which is fine AND fun, just sucks that I have everything I need, just angled wrong

To make it worthwhile, I'll be adding some new fasten points to mount a couple recovery boards and/or Hi-Lift opposite the bike. Oh how things unravel...

Tires are actually BFG KM3s in 315/75-16. They've been fantastic and do much better on the highway than I would have anticipated with their aggressive mud tread design. That said, for my use, I think a KO2 would be better suited. I guess I got caught up in the idea of some of my previous rigs that were much more dedicated (read trailered). More miles are paved than not for this rig - A/T would have been a better decision.
Appreciate 0