Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox73 View Post
Probably just me, but I think it's time to retire the "i" branding...it's so overplayed on everything from cars to mobile device chargers. I'm surprised BMW is using that mechanism to brand its future...it seems stale, worn out, and derivative of Apple. Pretty sure a marketing undergrad class could come up with that name.
Its not just you but didnt idrive come few years before iphone and they really were not copying anything?

Bmw is a bit lost in leading with design though. You need a visionary guy for this and thats rare. Take Bangle - he just showed up and said “all you assholes are old and dunno shit and im gonna make you a cool car line up, with idrive, flame surfacing, cars all gonna look distinct etc”. He moved bmw out of the 70-90s period. His only failure sorta was that most cars came out underhweeled or overbodied. An e90 needed 18s to look half decent but run flats killed the ride - but bmw stuck em on 16s in base spec. Talk about underwheeled! Then came these forum bros who shit on E90 tail lights or e60 headlights and E65 Trunk with their bleh emojis and stupid one liners (you wear a cap backwards and sunglasses - you dont know shit bro) and after a while they (bmw) mellow down everything, give in, copying Audi of early teens and making every car in the line up in matrioshka doll style. Now 3 looks like 5, 5 looks like 7 and x3 looks like x5 and so on. I mocked Audi for this and hello its happened to bmw! I dont fkng like that all cars look the same now and the reason is they lack a design character with charisma. Playing it safe. More like we are in the E39 E46 era again. All things look super smooth and mellow adjusted for modern tech. I had the Z4 Coupe - that thing looked solid. Drove well. Was reliable. Interior was sweet. What current z4 looks like!

Meanwhile Mercedes finding their design mojo, and Audi has gotten sharp and learned how to make cars that drive well. And BMW just got... more expensive. Everytime I see the 5 series or especially 7 series wih those stupid headlights I dont get what were they thinking. Look at it. Very punchable face on car if there was one.

The i’model line up has a great design language. I hope they phase out current old dinosaur designs and go for making cars that look like concept cars soon. Interior of every imodel looks 10x nicer. Faux gauge rings on top of led display - what! So may be it is dumb to use “i” monicker so much, i think it will be phased out and i3 will be 1 series and i8 - 8 series etc. fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0