Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskyPat12 View Post
Do you gas your bottles? The ones I referred to emptying in the post above are the ones that get below the half mark. Any that I want to save after opening (that I wont come back to for a while) I gas the bottle.

I also do this when I do a dry month.

I have no clue if it actually helps, but I've read that it does. If you remove all the oxygen and gas them with something inert, you eliminate oxidization.

For the newbs: NEVER STORE WHISKY ON ITS SIDE!
I do not gas my bottles because I drink almost all of them in a normal rotation. Anything I do not like I give away or sell. I know people do gas and it does cut down on oxydation, but only really needed if below half full or you are not going to drink it for more than 3-6 months IMO. The whiskeys open up and change flavor with the oxygen but usually for the better. I have not had any issues and a few of mine were open well over a year before I finished them. I do drink quicker once they are less than half full.

And yes, never store on its side. With wine it keeps the cork moist and from drying up but whiskey is a much higher alcohol content and will deteriorate the cork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Curious: does sunlight ruin whiskey? I know that with wine that’s a big no no. I store it on our fireplace slab which keeps it nice and cool but some light shines through towards end of day via the backyard sliding door. It’s not full exposure so I don’t worry about it but curious if it needs to be dark like it is for wine.

And dang...100-120 bottles?!
Yes, direct sun exposure or heat will make whiskey go bad a lot quicker than a normal room temp and darker area. I keep direct light off of my collection.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 1