08-10-2020, 11:27 AM   #9
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
I have not had any issue with my F48, F36 or my current F32. (fingers crossed)

The most troublesome vehicle I've owned was the newly redesigned Jeep Compass 4x4 Limited. Electronic center screen reboot at random, instrument panel doesn't know when to dim, 4x4 system making groaning noises. Strangely enough I had no issue with it's Italian cousin the Fiat 500X 4x4.
Automotive complexity has several parts (pun intended): mechanical (design, quality of parts) + intended usage (as another forum member previously stated) + electrical (wiring, quality of shielding, connectors) + electronic (sensors, heat protection) .... and now in the age of software - more software in every car.

This recent article from Consumer Reports says it all

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...gine-problems/

"The problem: A software error can disable the engine fuel injectors. If that happens, the engine may not start or, if the car is in motion, the engine may stall.

The fix: A remedy has not yet been determined. Once it has, dealers will update the car’s software at no charge to owners."

The "a remedy has not yet been determined" is a concern. Humans write software. Human ought to determine fairly quickly if the specifications are incorrect (which means software should be updated) or specifications are correct and a mistake was made while writing it.

Chevy Malibu had a very large recall in 2012. From Wikipedia:

"On September 21, 2012. General Motors recalled 473,841 vehicles involving the Chevrolet Malibu, Pontiac G6 and Saturn Aura from model years 2007 through 2010 equipped with four-speed automatic transmissions. The problem is a condition that could make cars roll when in park. The recall affected 426,240 in the United States, 40,029 in Canada and 7,572 in other markets"

Two years later in 2014, Jeep Grand Cherokee owners began to complain that the cars rolled while in park mode.

While FCA and GM are different manufacturers, the parts supply chain is more difficult to trace for the average car owner.

These problems simply point to a very simple conclusion: quality is a function of intent and execution by human beings.

One of our former neighbors was involved in a terrible accident in her X5. She walked away and bought another X5 with N55 engine. Replacing OEM N55 plastic charge pipe with one made by Evolution Racewerks did not seem to be a big deal after the accident.
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13347.00
GenXer1365.00