Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstone_ttlz4 View Post
Thanks for that. I'm sort of relieved to hear that it isn't 100% subjective. I've read posts where people have said that they've got wheels with hairline cracks replaced, but I wanted to know if there was something in particular people were saying to get that outcome.
You are welcome, this is after all what this board is all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayda View Post
Been totally loving my car, top down all the time now in the nice weather. Yesterday I get the low tire indicator on the dash for the right rear tire. I check the pressure and it is at 36 psi. I fill it to 42 psi. I drive my baby today about 30 miles in glorious sunshine and the right rear is down to 37 psi again. I am assuming the worst, cracked rim! I can see no evidence of a nail. I am leaving for a business trip this week so it will sit until I can get it in to BMW. I do have the tire and wheel insurance but trust me our roads are fairly good and I pretty much drive like a grandma! I am glad I will go to the dealer armed with the knowledge I have of this issue from this board! Heeee, hubby wanted to drive my car while I am gone......too bad not going to happen. I actually want to be the one to take my car in because I have all the amo from this board. Pitiful BMW, I have only about 9,500 miles on the car now!
I fear you have a hairline crack (slow leak) and there should be no issue to replace your wheel. The fact that you are well informed from others here on this issue and that BMW now apparently has a stronger design of the 296 wheel should help you out well.

Make sure you ask them while in the garage to check the left hand rear wheel as well.

In addition to what I wrote to silverstone above keep in mind that your rear wheels are set up with a negative 2.5 degree camber (you may have seen posts regarding this). Some members have had this negative camber reduced by 1 to 1.5 degree to reduce the load to the inner edge of your wheel. The negative 2.5 degree is really not that noticeable if reduced by 1 degree or so. I am convinced that this negative camber along with the RFT caused both my rear wheels to crack.

The wheel that BMW screwed me on and never paid me for now has a place in my garage and garden hose duty so to speak (photo in my Retired car garage here ---> Click to Open at least I can have some use out of it)

Good luck to you and let us know how you make out.

Cheers, Rolf

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0