Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
So, if all this hypothesis is correct - I would imagine that BMW will argue that the increased performance mods on cars will increase the fuel load required* from the HPFP, which in turn increases the probability that the LPFP will be able to keep up enough supply to keep the HPFP lubricated.
HEnce increased chance of HPFP runnign dry, and overheating, and failing as a result....

Lucky it is just a theory.

If you are taking them to court will you subpeona their corporate records on the number and exact diagnosis of HPFP failures?

* Increased performance = more fuel usage. Fact of life.
Stig,
Not quite as black & white as that. Tuning for increased performance in some cases will actually increase fuel economy. Really depends on what the stock tuning is. D/I motors I am still very new too and just learning what makes them work. My current tuning experience is with tradition injectors. With those I can data log and monitor exactly how much of the injector capacity is being used. Not sure that is possible with a D/I setup. The big thing hurting BMW by claiming the mods caused the failure is that 100% bone stock cars are having the same failure and BMWNA extended the warranties on the cars in question.

Another aspect to consider is that the fuel enerting the HPFP is at ambient temperature and the oil lubricating the HPFP is at 250f. That is a huge temperature differential to have withing the same casting.
Appreciate 0