View Single Post
      07-23-2017, 07:28 PM   #117
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

I'm posting all this detail on the Z4 footwell woofers as I've found nothing elsewhere, and hopes this helps someone. The Hertz 165.1 speakers are installed, and I just need to put the panels back in place.

I contemplated drilling four holes in the metal paneling, to mount the speakers, which was really not my first choice. But I was concerned about making an adapter plate (you can't buy one) because of the close overlap of the chassis (its mount points) and the factory screw locations. Inspecting the metal panel, I realize that BMW has actually inset plastic plugs which the screws mount to. I decided to make 1/2" birch plywood plates. As for making the adapters, I copied the outline pattern from the factory speakers. I drilled countersinks and switched from the 8mm socket head screws to panhead screwdrivers which mount more shallow. The resultant adapter plates were sprayed black. Before installing anything, I put some sound deadening material on the back panel. I then screwed the adapters to the chassis, then plugged in the speakers (make sure the pos/neg orientation is correct or the speakers will be out of phase), then I used a wire tie to hold the two plugs together since my modified Chrysler plug doesn't lock in.

The pictures should be self explanatory.

Filippo

Here are the finished adapter plates. Note you can see the phillips screws I used - longer ones for adapter to chassis, shorter ones for speaker to adapter.:

These are the recessed holes that allow for flush use of panhead phillips screws, when mounting the adapters to the body chassis:

Here is the adapter installed, with sound deadening in the background panel.

Here you can see how a wire tie was used to hold the plugs firmly together:

Speaker installed: