Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
I mean you have to give up personal freedoms to live in a country like the United States. So, I'd say, yes, there are examples where it worked out well in history. Obviously, there are limits to it though...
Your idea of being an American and my idea are miles apart. This country was founded on the quest for personal freedom and we have been giving them away ever since.

Quote:
That's the way regulation should work though. Congress doesn't have the skills, expertise, or time to handle comments from the public and industry on how to craft the regulation well. That's what they created the NHTSA and DOT to do.
Me I take issue with having unelected and unaccountable bureaucrats craft laws that effect me.

Quote:
If you think the rule is garbage then be sure to share your comments when it is up for review. They can't issue rules without public input as that's required by law.
Maybe you missed the part about this being burred in the 1,039-page 2021 Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act that nobody had time to read before voting. If you think this is uncommon you are naive.

Quote:
No one knows simply because the rule hasn't been placed up for comment yet. So you're having a premature ejaculation problem. Getting bent out of shape and predicting scenarios that you have no idea will actually be an issue.
You seem to have missed the fact that it IS signed law.

Quote:
No, the rule will not require stopping cars in the middle of a road an bricking them. Car manufactures would push back on that aggressively as it would be a pretty poor driver experience.
You don't know that as the rules haven been written but if it to be effect it must make a immediate response so maybe you can expect a change in engine to limp home mode. Good luck on where and when that happens and how you get out of it if you're not impaired.

Quote:
If I can assume you're talking about essentially Vehicle-to-Vehicle (V2V) communication. That's something I'm hoping they can get working well. As it offers a lot of promise. Eventually, it could make things like Blind Spot Detection and crash avoidance a lot more reliable. Less on the car using sensors to "guess" what is nearby and can accurately know. Potentially, even getting accurate data on impending collisions to improve safety.
Of course you do. Maybe you can just take the train and have your dream today.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. The only way they can inherit the freedom we have known is if we fight for it, protect it, defend it, and then hand it to them with the well fought lessons of how they in their lifetime must do the same. And if you and I don’t do this, then you and I may well spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it once was like in America when men were free.
Ronald Reagan - 1961
Appreciate 0