SSJTrunks523
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328xic '11.0 M3 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
I wouldn't criticize Max that much on Turn 1 incident. It is quite "common" for Spa race start at La Source. Although Max was a bit lucky not making himself the second Grosjean by causing a huge collision at that corner at race start.

However, Verstappan was walking a very fine line on his defense maneuvers. He was being criticized in Hungary defending Kimi (again). This time was straight aggressive "blocking" (in Indy car terms), he simply "reacts" to Kimi's path with a significant speed differential. This is like you driving down a freeway 85-90 mph, and some idiot came to your lane driving 65 mph without signal and only a few feed in front of you.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/08/3...ngerous-moves/

Above gave some suggestions that FIA can study further laying down some solid rules on differentiating "defense" and "blocking". In this case, Kimi could've in contact with Max's rear wheel and fly like Webber in Valencia 2010.

I think at this point, RBR should sit down and have a long talk with Max. Encouraging him doing what he did in Spain, that was simply great defending, knowing the track and his car's capability. But Hungary and Spa, that's a no no in driving and overtaking etiquette.

Once he gets more mature, he will be a great driver and definitely a world champion.
Exactly. He's got the skillz to pay the billz, and that first turn stuff happens. It just does. The blocking is going to end his career prematurely and/or someone else's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spumoni1984 View Post
I don't think team/sponsor respect can be separated from driver respect. Look at Maldonado...teams and sponsors weren't lining up to sign him once Venesuela oil dropped out. Why - he's crazy and crashes a lot.

Opposite is true for Hulk or Alonso. How many times is Fernando mentioned as the best driver on the grid - even though he has been rounding out the top 10 this year? As for Nico...Hulk is constantly linked with top tier teams when the "crazy season" gets going. You don't get your name mentioned with Ferrari, MB, and Red Bull by picking up a few 7th places for Force India.
This ^^^^^^^

Respect does have a lot to do with where you end up in a team, and whether anyone wants to actually deal with you. This is true in all sports, not just F1. At some point someone is going to decide they want to win and do not care for his blocking and he will end up in a wall. No team wants their car in a wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
You write this as if that is of any importance. but in fact this doesnt matter at all.
They race to get maximum results. they only need respect from teams and sponsors to ensure their income and next years seat. And that means foremost results, and maybe consistency, but respect from other drivers plays no part.
Racing has only 1 goal. and that is to win. Respect from other drivers doesnt result in anything, there is no 'you know what, he's such a nice and respected guy, I think I'll let him pass' scenario.
Thats why professional drivers absolutely dont care about respect from other drivers. If that's in your nature, you wont make it anywhere near professional level racing, let alone F1. Because if earning respect means not going the full 100% for your own results, you'll never win at top level.

as for the crash, I see 3 drivers in 1 corner who all 3 thought they could get away with it or that 1 would back down. Guess all 3 were wrong...
Lack of respect between drivers will lead to problems with in-fighting in teams, future teammate issues, sponsor issues, and could cost him points. Intentional blocking for example. If I knew I was racing someone who was dirty, and wrecked me last week, and he was vying for a title, I would park it on a hot lap during quali, etc. Ignore blue flags and block him if he was trying to lap me. Do anything I could to stop him from winning. Especially if I wasn't in contention. "5 second penalty? Bahhh who cares. I ruined that guys year." I believe that saying that respect doesn't have anything to do with winning is completely wrong. You WILL LOSE without respect.

NASCAR (I know, I know) he would be in the wall every weekend if he pulled this kind of stuff.

2011.0 E92 M3 M-DCT ZCP ZTP ZPP Black Wrapped Jerez Black + 2007 E92 328xic 6MT
2007 YZF-R6 + 2001 Honda Shadow ACE
1989 RS Camaro - HO 350, Dynomax headers, flowmaster AT exhaust, 4.56 gears
2015 STI Launch Edition
Appreciate 1