View Single Post
      03-16-2019, 02:22 PM   #68
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4 sDrive 35i 6MT

Hey BBQ-AZ,

Great post... I'll try to help with your questions...

How can I invoke the diagnostics menu of the SmartBox?
- Pull back on the iDrive controller for a few seconds and that should bring up the list of adjustable parameters
- Push either right or left (I can't remember which it is) for a few seconds to bring up your current software version

Where should I put the Mic?
- I chose to put the mic in the same place they did in their YouTube video... in the little air vent by the driver knee. Seems to work fine... but, I personally don't use it much.

I haven't found info anywhere—Is the display 1280 or 800 by 480 pixels?
- I believe it's 1280 x 480 based on the image I posted on the previous page of this thread

Are there any tips you would have for a new user?
- UniChip support is great, if you have issues.
- Not sure I follow exactly how you ran your AUX and USB cables.. but if you're looking for a clean look, I'm pretty happy with how mine turned out (which required drilling a hole). Check photos earlier in this thread.
- My biggest (and really only) complaint with this system is having to use the AUX for audio. There are multiple volumes to be adjusted in the CarPlay menu... then there is the AUX volume in the iDrive menu... and then finally the physical knob on the dash. I found that I could get adequate audio quality for audiobooks and podcasts.. but getting good enough audio quality with music has been a problem for me (especially played loud when top is down). If you manage to find the sweet spot with the CarPlay audio setting and iDrive AUX audio setting... please post the parameters!

Hope this helps! Thanks!
Appreciate 1
BBQ-AZ0.00