02-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #14
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthdawn View Post
Its probably completely unrelated but I had the same problem a couple months ago.
I kept getting a "Increase battery discharge message" This usually causes my comfort access to not work. Guess it sees it as I am low on battery so to conserve battery, they turn off some functions such as comfort access.

So I bought it to an independent shop and they said.

1.) My battery is like 5 years old and is just losing its charge
2.) The battery sensor was bad, dont remember what exactly the part was. It was giving an incorrect battery reading or something like that. No matter what my battery charge was, it read it as being low on battery.

I replaced the battery and that battery sensory. My comfort access was fixed then.
It's always helpful to check your battery with a voltmeter if you suspect it's the source of the problem. Check it in the morning after it's been fully discharged overnight. You don't want to read much below 12 V. However if all you do are short trips you're not giving the alternator enough time to recharge the battery. In that case you'll show low voltage even though your battery is still good.
You can also do a load test by having a helper start the car while you look at the meter. The battery shouldn't drop more than 2V before the engine turns over.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0