06-28-2021, 11:28 AM   #27
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Even with all that, it's still way down on torque at the lower RPMs for such a big and heavy vehicle. The comparison to an STI is poor, those were old-school turbo cars that have survived for far longer than they should have, having to rev-up to 2800-3000 before the turbo really starts to "kick in". Nothing like the modern hot-v setups, the ones mounting the twin scroll a couple inches from the exhaust valves, etc. The STI has to wrap the exhaust headers around the entire engine to meet up with the turbo, which creates a ton of lag. Subaru is notorious for not developing their cars, like the 4EAT that had no place in the WRX, not putting a more powerful engine in the WRX, not putting a 6 speed in the WRX, lack of twin-scrolls, etc. They eventually get around to it, but man it takes them way way longer than it should,

Again, with modern turbo 4s, we are talking 250-300tq at 1500-1700, not 2-3K. Let alone what you can get out of a modern turbo 6 (which is what it should really have). It just leads to a far more drivable car IME.
Of course it's a poor comparison, which is why I compared two vastly diff ones, but you only recalled the STI example. My B48 / 28i does not pull harder than that VQ... I'm not debating the fact that a small turbo would help them (mpg / daily torque), I'm merely saying it's not as bad as you make it out to be. The VQ is not considered a strung out motor with no power until the upper revs like the S65 / or B18 / B16 motors. It's a flat torque curve V6, better than many other NA V6s especially if you compared that V6 torque / power to it's competition the last 20 years. You're right an engine like the B48 motor makes more torque at 1500rpms but the VQ ends up making more torque overall and a lot more horsepower....

Previously they were mounted with the CVT as well (i hate CVT) but that would allow max torque / max hp to be pinned at that rpm soon after coming from a stop.

But yes, I agree it is dated now like I stated before already. It just isn't a lethargic, no torque motor that requires "stratospheric" rpms to get moving. That sounds like the STI, the B18, the S65, etc. Keep in mind the VQ35 is rated up to a 6000lb tow rating on the new Qx60.
Appreciate 0