02-10-2020, 03:29 AM   #3
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLMO View Post
That's a fantastic build!! Going to have Dimitri tune in a few months after walnut blasting valves and inlets. Did you keep your factory intake?
Thanks and yes sir. The factory intake is perfect for my power level, and there are many advantages to this design.

Below I have overlayed two 3rd gear wot logs done with an hour or so in between. One is the stock airbox with snorkle. The other is DCI with snorkle.

https://datazap.me/u/asbjoern/dci-vs...17-22-25-29-30

Contrary to common belief, you will find no increase in wgdc with the stock airfilter at my power level. Remember though that I have upgraded VTT GC inlets. Others jts1981 have tested stock inlets vs these inlets and found a difference.

So to sum up, the advantages of using the stock airfilter and snorkle are:
- Lower iat without hurting wgdc or boost. At higher speeds, the stock intake system might in fact be helping build boost.
- Better air flow through the main radiator, because air can't escape above it and go into the engine bay. Remember air always chooses the path of least resistance.
- Stock acoustics (dcis sound like there's a boost leak. Also you wouldnt be able to hear a slight boost leak if there was one due to the intake noise)
- I have 60cc water spray in front of the DCT transmission cooler. Whatever water mist is not cooling the transmission cooler will get sucked up into the air intake or go through the radiator.

The only disadvantages I can think of:
- Under the hood temps will be slightly higher, less airflow around the engine
- Not good if you really like the sound of induction noise

If you go significantly above my power level, you may want to consider the Mr5 style intake, which is a DIY mod where you add a cold air intake to the stock airfilter box.
Appreciate 0