View Single Post
      11-13-2020, 11:11 AM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
[B“Coupés, convertibles and roadsters, we will see what will be left,” Zipse said, commenting about one of the areas where BMW is reviewing its product offering[/B]. (Emphasis added.)
We've already heard whispers of the Z4 and two door 8 Series models not being renewed, so this comment comes as no surprise. I think the writing is already on the wall for these two.

The tougher questions arise when we talk about the higher volume but nevertheless steadily shrinking demand for today's two-door 2 Series and 4 Series products. We already know the 2 Series Convertible will not get a second generation. But how much longer can the contracting two-door market realistically support both a 2 Series Coupe and 4 Series Coupe? And if you have to pick just one, which is it? If you let one go, obviously the corresponding M model would become a casualty as well. However, maybe there is a way to satisfy enthusiast demand with a single model lineup, perhaps sized in between the existing two. I am speculating of course, but it would not surprise me if these types of conversations are already taking place.

Further out, if four door car sales also continue to fall, where does that leave the sedan and Gran Coupe lineups? Does the world, especially past 2030, need seven distinct three-box BMW product lines? Almost surely not, no. Maybe the 2/4/(6?)/8 become the first to transition to all-electric, while the traditional 1/3/5/7 hold onto the ICE for a mix of PHEV and EV into next decade. But is that going to be sustainable/economical? Or must more aggressive action be taken?

It'll be interesting to see how they manage all of this. Something has to give, and smart money says that simply cutting today's low hanging fruit isn't going to be enough.
Appreciate 0