View Single Post
      01-26-2023, 06:56 AM   #1
SixOhms
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 V, 86 C126, 993

Buying a car right before MY turnover

Hey everyone,

What actually happens when you buy a car right before model turnover ?

Say you configure and place an order for a car. Let's imagine for a minute the sales rep puts the order in the system and normally that's it : the wait begins.

But only a day (or two) later the new configurator is activated (for you and the dealer). Options have come, options have gone, packages are different and maybe even some standard equipment has been added or removed.

As I understand it, after a certain date the factory starts building the 'new' MY cars. I can't imagine they would build 'old' cars and 'new' cars on the same run. Or maybe they do ? It sounds like a logistics nightmare. Alternatively, they could endeavor to move the 'old' cars forward to before the turnover date. But what if say the lead time is six months, but the turnover only three months away ?

And where does it leave the customers ? Do they get the car they ordered, are they asked to pay for stuff they didn't order ? Do they get a rebate for stuff that gets removed ?

It all sounds inordinately complex to me. Can anyone offer any insights ? I imagine it must happen every once in a while !

Thanks, Pete
Appreciate 0