07-12-2017, 08:20 PM   #109
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher View Post
Will be interested to see the 6.5 install and the results, as most people don't bother
Most people don't bother, yet what I understand is the majority of the bass comes from the footwell speakers. Bavsound told me they don't because only the Z4 uses that and the economics isn't worth it. In other words, its not that changing it wasn't worth it ... We'll see.

What I have discovered, after two weeks of research, is that there are a number of German audio manufacturers that are making sound system components just for our cars (F30 compatibility). So Bavsound is a choice, but there are also other choices. Also, some times those items are well-priced from a German vendor that ships to you DHL/FedEx. For $300 shipped for a pair of Rainbow woofers for the rear (versus the Jehnert's for $450), for example, I don't know why I'd spend 50% more. The Rainbow's have been around a long time, made in Germany quality. BTW, Rainbow has complete component systems for BMW, as does a number of other players - Jehnert, Hertz, Vibe, Rainbox, Rockford Fosgate, ... this stuff is just not well documented, as I'm discovering.

Another issue, I believe ... the USA being a big country, many of our retailers do eCommerce. It seems that not many German audio retailers have web storefronts, so it is a bit hard to find stuff if you are American (and don't speak German, though thank God for Google Translate). I worked with a guy from more-db.de, and we communicated over Facebook messenger. I spoke with him about what I was doing, my components. He made recommendations, priced, sent me a Paypal invoice, he sent me photos, and in an hour had DHL number for me. Just food for thought for those exploring.

BTW I agree on the top-down observation. But I enjoy a good drive with the top down, and my tunes blaring from time to time. I don't doubt these improvements will be significant, open air driving or not.

Filippo